Sunday, May 9, 2010

Stila Silk Shimmer Gloss Review

As promised, here's the review and swatches for Stila's Silk Shimmer Glosses! I absolutely love these and hope you guys do too!

Stila silk shimmer glosses with flash

Stila silk shimmer glosses without flash

 
I got these two sets at Winners for $9.99 CAD each! Compared to the price of a single silk shimmer gloss at sephora ($22), this was totally worth it. First off, I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE the smell of these! I will go through each of these separately as it is hard to review them all at once. But overall, these are a little bit sticky, (but it is bearable!) and although they seem very strong in the pictures, are all very smooth and wearable once applied. I'm very happy with these :) Here's the swatches!


Swatches with no flash
Same order as pictured above

.
Swatches with flash
What they say:
Stila's new silk shimmer gloss in kitten delivers that golden pink shine to the lips that we all have come to love. The silk proteins make for smooth, moisture-rich wear, while ultra-fine pearl shimmer provides that signature stila shine. Enriched with vitamins A, C, and E, this lip-loving formula is bound to become the next cult classic.

My take:
I have checked both Stila and Sephora's website but have only found this silk shimmer gloss available in kitten. Im not sure of the names for the rest of these colours so I will review these in order from left to right:

1. Baby Pink:
This one has the BEST smell out of all of the other silk shimmer glosses. It smells like a hazelnut hot smoothie from tim hortons! yummmmmmmm! The colour is very pretty with no shimmer. Although it looks very pigmented in pictures, when applied, it is actually more of a sheer pink.. just a hint of colour. However, layer this over a light pink lipstick and it would look amazing!

2. Fuschia Pink:
This one has a sweet candy like smell. The colour is a nice fuschia pink with no shimmer. I found that this one was much more pigmented than the baby pink colour and it shows up much better on the lips. It is a brighter pink and would look great either on its own or paired with a lipstick.

3. Shimmer Fuschia Pink:
This one also has that sweet candy like smell similar to that of the fuschia pink. This colour is similar to the fuschia pink but is loaded with shimmer. In my opinion, I think this one is nicer than the fuschia pink, mainly because i love the shimmers! :) It is also well pigmented and applies smoothly (You cant feel the shimmer bits). This one would look great on its own or paired with a lipstick as well. 

4. Shimmer Red:
Although this looks like scary red in the tube, it is actually a very sheer light gloss with shimmer. It is slightly tinted and has some pink undertones. This one also has that sweet candy smell. Prior to testing these glosses, i had thought that this and the copper brown were not very wearable and that i would not like them as much. However, i found that this was actually very nice and very wearable. :)

5. Copper Brown
I think the majority of these glosses have that sweet candy smell.. this one is also the same. Now brown lipstick/gloss is normally a colour that i stay away from mainly because its not very flattering for my skintone. This doesnt mean that it wont look good on you so you may have a different opinion! That being said, I can see myself rarely using this as it is simply not the right colour for me. Also, there is a metallic sheen to this one which i find a bit overpowering. Maybe if it was toned down a bit, i wouldnt mind this one so much :)

6. Kitten?
Im not sure if this is the one, but it looks very similar to Kitten. AND finally, a different smell :) This one doesnt have a strong smell, but it is definately not like the sweet candy ones earlier. Nor is it like the hazelnut. Its more of a creamy... lipsticky (not the bad kind) smell? Im not quite sure how to describe it, but it is a pleasant smell. Out of all the glosses, i think this one is the most neutral toned one. It is a nude pinkish colour with shimmer. This one would look better paired with a lipstick, but could definately be worn on its own for more natural, less makeup days :)

Overall: A+
All of these have a very very nice texture. They are silky smooth (as the name implies), conditioning and applies easily. I think all of them are wearable with the exception of the copper brown, which is more metallic. My favourite silk shimmer gloss definately has to be the baby pink one. I cant stop smelling it!! and the colour (although a bit sheer) is perfect for everyday wear :). My new favourite pairing at the momment is Rimmel's Airy Fairy and this lipgloss ♥. (I used this in my FOTD that i previously posted, heres what it looks like)


For a more dramatic look or more pigmented lips, i'd have to go with the shimmer fuschia pink, as it has the best colour payout with loads of shimmer! Here it is paired with Avon's apricot glow :)


If you have a chance, i'd definately recommend these, especially if you can find them in these trio sets!!
xAgnes

Disclaimer: I am in no way affiliated with any companies and any of the above products mentioned were all purchased by me with my own money, or given to me from family and friends. All reviews are from my personal experience and what works for me may not work for you. Please keep this in mind when testing these products.

3 comments:

Ritalime said... [Reply to comment]

Ooh, nice haul. :D Stila products are usually so expensive.

Love your blog, just followed you. :)

Katie Ngo said... [Reply to comment]

Thanks for your thoughtful comment. Means alot, i hope shes doing well! It must be really hard...:/ I'm sorry to hear. I've never heard of these glosses either, thanks for the swatches, the colors are beautiful. <3

Anonymous said... [Reply to comment]

hi, i was just wondering abt the kitten colour, is it sticky? =)

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
back to top